Some Notable Dates in Winton's History
DATE | YEAR | EVENT |
Approx. | 1853 | George CHANDLER settles in Winton, and commences business as
a storekeeper |
- | 1857 | The township of Winton was surveyed by Assistant Surveyor J. G. Wilmot |
Approx. | 1858 | William MAGENNIS settles in Winton |
25-Feb | 1861 | Township of Winton proclaimed |
1-Jan | 1864 | Post Office opens. William MAGENNIS probable postmaster |
Jul | 1864 | First hotel (known as the Commercial Hotel) opens. It was built by George CHANDLER on land owned by William MAGENNIS. |
- | 1865 | Winton and district population 300 |
- | 1866 | Bournebank Methodist Church opens |
- | 1869 | William BLACKBURNE postmaster |
- | 1869 | Henry SAWYER blacksmith until 1888 |
1-Aug | 1869 | First Winton Primary School SS 991 opened by Catholic Church. Eileen T MANNING appointed Head Teacher |
- | 1870 | George CHANDLER postmaster |
Mar | 1871 | "Publican's License. First Schedule. I, William BLACKBUKRNE, of Winton, do hereby give notice that I desire to obtain, and will at the next licensing meeting apply for a publican's license for a house situated at Winton, containing four rooms, exclusive of those required for the use of the family." |
- | 1873 | David LINDSAY runs Commercial Hotel/liquor store |
- | 1874 | Martin STAFFORD postmaster |
mid | 1870s | Henry FREITAG, stonemason of Winton, employs Ned KELLY |
Jan | 1874 | SS 991 becomes a capitation school |
- | 1876 | 2 acres of land purchased from William CAMERON by Education Department for new Winton school |
Apr | 1876 | Winton School SS 1870 opens, head teacher Patrick FITZPATRICK |
16-Apr | 1877 | SS 991 closes, children transferred to SS 1870 |
9-Dec | 1877 | Winton Railway station opens. Mrs Ellen GREENWOOD appointed first railway gatekeeper |
16-Apr | 1878 | Constable FITZPATRICK stops at David LINDSAY's hotel with a slight flesh wound |
- | 1880s | John McMONIGLE opens first Winton butcher shop |
early | 1880s | Thomas GILDING first Winton bookmaker |
early | 1880s | Maurice WILLIAMS opens licensed hotel, the Williams Hotel, corner of Huntly and High St |
- | 1888 | John STAFFORD buys Williams Hotel |
- | 1890 | New Methodist Church opens to replace original |
- | 1890 | Butter Factory opens, Robert WARNOCK first magager |
- | 1891 | Mary Ann LINDSAY liquor storekeeper until 1896 |
- | 1891 | J READON licensee of Williams Hotel to 1892 |
- | 1891 | George SHERWILL Winton butcher |
- | 1893 | Elizabeth SKELTON licensee of Williams Hotel to 1895 |
- | 1895 | John JUSTICE blacksmith |
- | 1896 | Winton Public Hall built by Fred HAMMOND |
- | 1896 | Frederick HAMMOND licensee of Williams Hotel to 1899 |
- | 1897 | William FREITAG blacksmith until 1915. He was the last Winton blacksmith |
- | 1897 | James KELLY second Winton boot maker |
- | 1900 | Henry PEACOCK licensee of Williams Hotel to 1904 |
- | 1900 | Winton Woodmill opened and operated by Ernest ZIEBELL |
3-Jul | 1901 | Church of Good Shepherd, Church of England opens |
- | 1905 | Thomas CAHILL licensee of Williams Hotel to 1908 |
- | 1905 | Edward SMYTHE last Winton bootmaker |
- | 1906 | William COOKE last butcher until 1920 |
- | 1906 | HEAD and GREEN buy Winton Woodmill |
- | 1909 | Barbara TINDALL licensee of Williams Hotel to 1912 |
- | 1910 | Patrick FITZPATRICK retires as head teacher of Winton school SS 1870 after 33 years service. Benjamin BUDDS his successor |
- | 1911 | First public telephone installed at the Railway Station |
- | 1913 | Kenneth McINTOSH licensee of Williams Hotel to 1914 |
- | 1913 | Charles ABLEY operates Winton Woodmill |
- | 1915 | Mrs M STAFFORD licensee of Williams Hotel to 1922 |
- | 1917 | Methodist Church destroyed by strong winds |
- | 1918 | Methodist Church rebuilt |
About | 1920 | Williams Hotel burns down. Replaced by brick structure |
- | 1920 | John LYNCH operates Winton Woodmill until 1922 |
- | 1923 | Phillip HEDLEY licensee of Williams Hotel |
- | 1923 | J B CUNNINGHAM licensee of Williams Hotel to 1925 |
- | 1923 | William SWABY buys Winton Woodmill |
Jun | 1926 | Church of Good Shepherd, Church of England closes |
Apr | 1939 | Area suffers its worst floods since 1870 |
- | 1940s | Robert GREEN last owner of the Winton Woodmill |
- | 1941 | Mrs Amy RATCLIFF Station Mistress until 1945 |
Feb | 1952 | Old Williams Hotel renovated and reopened by Chris BEAUMONT as 'Atlantic' café and service station |
31-Aug | 1959 | Railway Station closes |
18-Jan | 1960 | Winton Post Office closes. Valerie DUNCAN last postmaster |
Mar | 1987 | Winton by-passed by Hume Freeway |
Last updated on 01 September 2021