Towns and Localities
Shire of Campaspe
This webpage lists brief details of some of the towns in the eastern part of the Shire of Campaspe that may be covered by AUS-VIC-NE mailing list.
Karook
Kyabram
Kyabram South
(see Cooma on the City of Shepparton webpage)
Kyabram Township
Lancaster
Rushworth
Sheridan (see Kyabram)
Taripta
Taripta East
Waranga
Whroo
---------------------------------------------------------
Return to the Towns/localities page.
Karook
Approximate Location:Rural area about 8km north of Rushworth.
Kyabram
Approximate Location:35km WNW of Shepparton.
Comments: Kyabram PO was called Sheridan from 1884 to 1886.
Public Buildings: A Mechanics Institute existed in 1912
as it housed the first classes for the Higher Elementary School.
Schools: SS2277 Kyabram North opened in 2880 and closed some
time in the middle/late 1880s. It was situated about 8km NW of Kyabram.
SS2291 Kyabram East opened about 2 km SE of Kyabram in 1880, It was renamed
Henley in 1893 and closed later that year.
SS2902 Kyabram opened in 1888 and became a Higher Elementary School in 1912.
To distinguish the two schools after the opening of SS4866 Dawes Road Kyabram
school in 1964 the school was renamed Haslem Road Kyabram. It was still operational in 2004.
SS3031 Kyabram West (location unknown) opened in 1889 and closed in 1946. This
school was also known as Deakin.
SS4866 Dawes Road Kyabram opened as a second Kyabram primary school in 1964 and a number
of students transferred from SS2902. The school was still operational in 2004.
A Higher Elementary School had existed for many years prior to 1955, but in 1955
a High School was established on the same site as SS2902 Haslem Street.
Churches: Methodist services were held in Henly Hall,
before a wooden church was erected in 1888, and a brick church in the early
1890s.
Other Buildings: A
Mechanics' Institute was constructed in Allan Street in 1891.In 1900 an eastern
extension was added, and in 1907 it was extended forward to the street line.
Although used increasingly for a number of other community purposes (e.g.
picture theatre) by 1955 the Borough of Kyabram basically occupied the building.
It is now used as the public library, a community centre and a Historic library.
After holding court sessions in the Mechanics' Institute, a court
house was built in Tulloh Street in 1912 and was
officially closed in 1989.
Kyabram Township
Approximate Location: 3km north of present day Kyabram.
Comments: The town/locality was initially called of Kyabram East,
was renamed Kyabram Township in 1883 and eventually died because of the
railway station in nearby present day Kyabram.
Schools: SS2401 Kyabram East opened in 1881, was renamed
Kyabram Township in 1883 and closed in 1901.
Lancaster
Approximate Location: 7 km east of Kyabram.
Comments: The town is named after the postmaster Thomas Lancaster.
The town was also known as Mooroopna West and Kyabram East in its earlier days.
Schools: SS1814 Mooroopna North West opened in 1876 situated
somewhere near Mooroopna North West. During its life it has moved a number of times
and in 1883 the school was renamed Lancaster. From 1885 until 1887 it worked part-time
with SS2184 Taripta East (some 13km to the west). It was still operational in 2004.
SS2002 Mooroopna North West opened in 1878 and closed some time after 1970. Unsure of
its exact location, but as it was also known as Mooroopna West and it existed at the
same time as SS1814, it may have been between Lancaster and Mooroopna.
Rushworth
Approximate Location: 45km SW of Shepparton and 20km west of Murchison.
Comments: Goldfield discovered 1853. The township was
surveyed and proclaimed by 1859. Nearby goldfields
were Bowmans Gully, Canadian Hill, Chinamans Flat, Dry Diggings, Growlers Hill,
Main Gully
and Parramatta Gully.
Schools: A non-vested National school opened in 1858
and closed as SS524 in 1870.
A Presbyterian school opened in 1859 and closed as SS532 in December 1872.
SS1057 opened in January 1872 or 1873. It became a HES in in 1931 and split into a
Primary and High school in 1961. The Primary School was relocated to new premises
in 1962 and closed some time after 1970.
SS4654 Rushworth Migrant Centre opened in 1949 and closed in 1952.
The High School took over the premises vacated by the Primary School in 1962.
The High School closed some time after 1970.
A P-12 (i.e. primary to year 12) school (#6238) opened some time after 1970 (replacing
SS1057 and the High School) and was still operational in 2004.
Churches: A brick Anglican church (St Paul's) was
built in High Street in 1867/70.
Rev John Truscott held the first Methodist
service on 15 December 1868, two months after the Sunday Scholl was completed. A
church was erected in 1879/1880 and replaced in 1891.
Buildings: A timber court
house was built in High Street in 1853 and it was replaced by a brick one on the
same site in 1877. It last sat in 1989.
The Mechanics' Institute operated as early as 1861 firstly in the National
School and then in the shire hall until it opened its own hall in 1898. However
the building of the railway line required demolish and a new building on the
current site in High Street was completed in 1914. It now houses the Rushworth
Museum.
Taripta
Approximate Location: 5km north of Kyabram.
Schools: SS1679 opened in 1876 and closed in 1906.
Taripta East
Approximate Location: About 7km north of Lancaster and 5 km east of Taripta.
Schools: SS2184 opened in 1879, worked part-time with SS1814
Lancaster between 1885 and 1887 and closed in 1893.
Waranga
Approximate Location: About 6km east of Rushworth and
parts of it are now under the Waranga Reservoir.
Schools: SS3095 Waranga was situated on the railway line
between Murchison and Rushworth. It opened in the Methodist Church in 1891 and closed
in 1927 when the reservoir was filled.
SS3457 Waranga Basin South opened in 1903 and closed in 1905.
SS3928 Waranga Basin opened in 1916 and closed in 1921.
SS4216 Waranga West opened in 1925 but within a year was part-time with SS651 Whroo until
it resumed full-time operation in 1941 and closed in 1951.
SS4230 Waranga Inlet opened in 1925 and closed in 1926.
Whroo
Approximate Location: About 8km south of Rushworth.
Comments: Gold town on the Waranga diggings. Township
was surveyed and proclaimed in 1852. Now a historic site. Nearby
diggings were Balaclava Gully, Balaclava Hill, Blackmans Point, Blacksmith
Diggings, Champagne Gully, Cherry Tree Flat, Chinamans Hill, Fontainbleu, Golden
Point Gully, Happy Go Lucky, Long Gully, Main Gully, Malakoff Hill, Mechanics Gully, Nuggetty Gully,
Poor Mans Gully, Poverty Diggings, Sailors Flat, Sailors Gully, Scotchmans Gully, Spring Hill,
Surface Hill, Wet Diggings and White Hills.
Public Buildings: A Mechanics Institute operated in a
slab hut from 1859 before constructing a new library and reading room in 1862. A
new building was constructed in 1887 and it was sold in 1955.
Schools: SS651 opened as a non-vested National school, worked
part-time with SS4216 Waranga West from 1926 until it closed in 1941.
Cemetery: For details of the cemetery
click here.
Return to the Towns/localities page.
Last updated on 01 September 2021